Corda Awards for Poetry Translation
Two awards of two thousand dollars each will be granted to the best translation of a selection of the poetry of David Rosenmann-Taub. Translations into English, French, Italian and Portuguese are particularly welcome. Translators are encouraged to publish their work, if possible. Applicants must have secured, from the Corda Foundation, the rights to translate the poems they have chosen to publish. Published translations may include fewer poems than the selection submitted.
- Translations published or submitted for publication before October 1, 2013, are not eligible for these awards.
- Translations must be at least twenty-five pages long following the pagination format of the original published poetry.
- The translations may be chosen from any published book of David Rosenmann-Taub.
- Translations may be co-authored.
- Name and address of translator and if applicable, of any collaborators. Include email address(es) and phone number(s).
- Name of poem (or the first verse) and title of the book or books where the poems were published.
- If a translation is to be published, permission should be requested from the Corda Foundation prior to publication, and the Foundation must grant such permission in writing.
- If applicable, indicate where the translations were or will be published; cite title of book or magazine, expected publication date, etc.
- Translator’s commentary on the translated poetry is optional.
- An electronic file (“Word” or “PDF”) of the original poems and translations. Show original poems and translations on separate pages. If published, include a copy of the translations as published.
- Quality of the translation, including poetic form and vocabulary, but especially the preservation and expression of the meaning of the original poem.
- Number of poems and/or lines of poetry translated.
Depending on the language of the translations, the Foundation may employ alternative advisors to judge the submissions.